- Born:8 July 1989 (28 years)
Israel’s first world judo champion and Rio 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Yarden Gerbi of Israel was in The Hague to deliver a masterclass on Saturday and Sunday. The 28-year-old retired in October but was back on the mat in the Netherlands to teach local children some new skills and to share her remarkable story. Read more
Only a year after winning a bronze medal in the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Israeli judoka Yarden Gerbi, 28, announced her her retirement on Monday morning during a press conference where she thanked all coaches, federation, friends and family for the years she had on the tatami. Read more
Yarden Gerbi, who won a bronze medal in the women’s 63-kg judo competition in Rio, said she will donate the proceeds to a Tel Aviv hospital. Israeli Olympic bronze medalist, judoka Yarden Gerbi, has auctioned off her name patch from the recent games in Rio for a whopping $52,100. The winning bid was placed by a so-far unidentified bidder on Sunday before the online auction closed on Monday. Read more
Israel won just two medals at the Olympic Games over all sports, which is actually better than average. With Yarden Gerbi taking bronze in the women’s U63kg division and Or Sasson doing the same in the men’s +100kg Judo contributed heavily in the Olympic history. Gerbi has offered her name patch for sale on eBay for charity, and agreed to autograph it with a dedication to the buyer. Read more
It wasn’t a surprise that both Tina Trstenjak as Clarisse Agbegnenou before the undisputed favourites, but it’s a quality that both reached the final at these competitive Olympics. This category U63kg is one of the most rivalled division and knows a broad list of challengers of these two. It was Tina Trstenjak who stayed cool as ever. She is as cool as Ono, as efficient as Riner and as laid-back as 2012 Olympic Champion Urska Zolnir. Trstenjak took over her legacy for a bright future of Slovenian judo. It was the only category of the 14 where none of the judoka had won an Olympic medal before. Read more
- 9 Aug 2016Brazils Mariana Silva surprises the elite towards semi finals
- 8 Aug 2016Rio2016 Olympic Judo Preview women U63kg
- 31 May 2016Who are the top earners in the IJF World Tour since 2012?
- 22 Apr 2016Russian Federation President Putin opens European Judo Championships in Kazan
- 22 Apr 2016Kazan Judo Preview U63kg: Who will challenge Tina Trstenjak?
- 15 Feb 2016Odette Giuffrida reaches top 10 World Ranking
- 25 Jan 2016Luxury dilemmas for Russia and Brazil in the World Ranking
- 23 Jan 2016Yarden Gerbi getting in shape with first gold since 2014